Sunday, October 3, 2010

Intruder

C managed to lure me over to a marathon tapering seminar that her running club hosted. She successfully got me out of the door with the ever-enticing promise of free pizza.

This attendance-driving strategy harkens back to random lectures during college:
Lecture on Market Strategies for Widgets in Southern Missouri -- wow that sounds boring.
Lecture on Market Strategies for Widgets in Southern Missouri (Free Pizza and Refreshments Provided) -- AMAZING! Let me call all of my friends!

I agreed to go and we drove over to the event. Upon arrival, I immediately felt like an intruder.

Here were running folk for all to see: sweaty from after-work runs, wearing Saucony or Brooks clothing and undoubtedly talking about running.

And there I was, nervous-eating a heap of free pizza and downplaying the fact that I also "run." But I'm not going to brag about my 12-mile week while the old lady sitting next to me is doing an 8-mile taper run.

In a lot of ways, I think that running is a lonely sport but I can't help but compare myself to these marathoners. And, truly, there's no comparison at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment